Why study at the Faculty of Science?
We involve students directly in our research projects from Master’s level upwards, ensuring that students are fully acquainted with the latest knowledge and trends.
We organize one of Europe’s oldest and most prestigious European mathematics competitions – the Vojtěch Jarnik International Mathematical Competition.
We enable students to pursue their own individual research interests as part of our doctoral degree programmes, and we offer motivational grants for students conducting research at the Faculty.
We involve students in our community activities – educational and leisure events promoting science and research.
We offer unique opportunities to take part in field trips and expeditions (biology and geography).
We offer a wide (and constantly expanding) choice of courses taught in English.
We have achieved world-leading research results in numerous fields, and many of our graduates have gone on to pursue successful careers both nationally and internationally.
Connect with us
Faculty of Science/University of Ostrava
Internal and External Relations Department
Vice-Dean for Internal and External Relations: RNDr. Tomáš Drobík, Ph.D.
Faculty International office: Mgr. Lukáš Laš, Ph.D.
Study at the Faculty of Science, University of Ostrava!
There are 7 x 6 reasons why you should choose to study at one of the departments of the Faculty of Science, University of Ostrava. Study at the FS, UO!!
6 REASONS WHY STUDY AT THE DEPARTMENT OF BIOLOGY AND ECOLOGY
- With us you will achieve Bachelor´s, Master´s or even Doctor´s Degree in interesting and perspective biological disciplines that can be applied in many spheres of human life.
- You will study in modern classrooms and work in laboratories with state-of-the-art equipment.
- During your studies you will meet leading Czech and foreign scientists, while getting an opportunity to become involved in solving international scientific and research projects.
- You will learn the best way of conducting biological experiments, discover new species and assess data using modern software programmes.
- During field trips you will become thoroughly acquainted with the nature of the Czech Republic, Europe or exotic places such as tropical rainforests.
- With the Erasmus+ programme, you will be given a chance to undertake a part of your study at European universities or gain work experience in foreign research institutions.
6 REASONS WHY STUDY AT THE DEPARTMENT OF PHYSICS
- You will become active members of research teams of Biophysics, Biochemistry, Ecophysiology of Photosynthesis and you will be involved in scientific research activities in the sphere of the Didactics of Physics.
- We dispose of modern state-of-the-art laboratories with spectrometers, fluorimeters, growth chambers, biochemical apparatus and digital technologies used by the students when carrying out their research or preparing for the pedagogical career of teachers.
- Our graduates find employment as leading scientists in foreign countries, successful teachers in primary and secondary schools and also working in public administration.
- In our biophysical and physical laboratories, you will learn to carry out experiments that can subsequently be applied in scientific, professional and teaching practice.
- We guarantee individual approach to students, motivation towards study programme specialisations, and dynamic professional growth of a student in an expert of teacher. As students, you will visit many scientific workplaces, laboratories and secondary schools where you will acquire practical skills and obtain numerous impulses into your career development.
- Much of the knowledge acquired in this way can be applied in your practical working life or within student professional competitions, and national and international scientific conferences.
6 REASONS WHY STUDY AT THE DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY
- Our scientific focus is CARBON – the most important element on this planet! From carbon to nanoparticles!
- We dispose of high-tech experimental laboratory background provided by reputable companies. As students you have access to all of this – when participating in the courses and carrying out your own research!
- In the laboratories, you will become acquainted with procedures awaiting you in your future practice, namely thanks to solving research topics for regional and multinational industrial corporations.
- Quality study in the field of analytical chemistry will bring you extensive opportunities of employment or follow-up doctoral study and academic sphere. Chemistry will always mean employability!
- The Department of Chemistry is small but handy. We guarantee individual approach and friendly atmosphere that will enable you to become great experts, scientists, and teachers.
- Chemistry teacher is one of the most desirable primary and secondary school approbations.
6 REASONS WHY STUDY AT THE DEPARTMENT OF INFORMATICS AND COMPUTERS
- As graduates of our study programmes, you will find excellent employment on the labour market. We offer welcoming approach, friendly atmosphere and possibility to study while working.
- We dispose of state-of-the-art computer classrooms focused on 2D and 3D graphics, operating systems, computer networks, intelligent houses and training of robots.
- In the course of your study, you will have an opportunity to use Microsoft licences (MSDN AA) and acquire professional certificates such as Maya, Cisco, Oracle or ECDL.
- Our students are successful in the Diploma Thesis Competition and Student Creating and Professional Activity international competition. The teachers cooperate with talented secondary school students (Czech Little Heads Contest).
- You will be involved in the department´s scientific research programme of softcomputing, modeling of operating processes, image processing, and expert and intelligent systems and algorithms.
- International cooperation is carried out through various projects; the department welcomes experts and students from abroad. The study at foreign top universities is provided via the Erasmus+ programme.
6 REASONS WHY STUDY AT THE DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS
- We are a department of mainly young experts creating friendly and welcoming environment with individual approach to the students.
- Thanks to the international cooperation with more than 20 partner universities, we offer an opportunity to study in Great Britain, Sweden, Finland, Italy and other countries including China and the offer is constantly growing.
- You will be able to participate in the solving of international research projects, undertake internships or take part in international conferences.
- The teaching is provided and the internationally recognised research is conducted with the involvement and collaboration with many foreign experts directly in the English language. In order to develop mathematical knowledge, we organise invited lectures of leading scientific experts but also professional practitioners.
- We organise one of the most prestigious mathematical competitions in the world - Vojtěch Jarník International Mathematical Competition.
- Having graduated from our department, you will find excellent employment in the academic sphere in the Czech Republic and abroad but you will also become experts attractive for the labour market.
6 REASONS WHY STUDY AT THE DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN GEOGRAPHY AND REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- We are a workplace where you can become involved into the solving of scientific issues and interconnect your study with expert knowledge.
- Our graduates have found employment in diplomacy (ambassadors), world media (CNN), top management (Hyundai), public administration (ministries) or international political institutions.
- With us you will spend a part of your study and practical training abroad at prestigious European or world universities. At our department, you can undertake the courses in English and meet leading foreign experts.
- You will acquire key competences for life in the 21st century – the knowledge of up to 6 world languages, skills of mastering statistical, information and geoinformation technologies and other skill necessary for finding employment on the labour market.
- We develop practical experience of students already in the course of their study at our department by offering professional and specialised internships in the Czech Republic and abroad.
- You can participate in regular excursions to attractive sites of the Czech Republic and Europe.
6 REASONS WHY STUDY AT THE DEPARTMENT OF PHYSICAL GEOGRAPHY AND GEOECOLOGY
- You will be involved in solving and organising scientific projects dealing with the current issues of natural catastrophes and global environmental changes.
- You will learn to work with the state-of-the-art apparatus in laboratories and during the field work, thus increasing your value on the labour market.
- We intensively support the study of our students at foreign universities. In this way, you will be given an opportunity to undertake a part of your study in the English language.
- You can develop expert education acquired in the Bachelor and two-year Master degree programme during your doctoral study.
- The members of the department are respected and recognised experts who will make you familiar with the latest scientific findings.
- We offer modern dynamic environment with fellowship programmes, practical excursions, involvement in theoretical and applied projects, and many other things.